Share |

Monday, August 16, 2010

A Church Re-Presenting

Groundbreaking research by the Barna Group several years ago revealed that, among 16 to 29-year-olds, the perception of Christianity is anti-homosexual, judgmental, hypocritical, too political, sheltered and proselytizing. Statistically, of the emerging generation of Americans, the percentage of people claiming the Christian faith is a mere 4%. Wondering about the drastic decline we're witnessing in the American church and these overwhelmingly negative perceptions, what should the church look like? How should people perceive us?

I think Jesus was painting a picture of what the church is supposed to look like when he was speaking to his disciples in John 6. Jesus said, 

"For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." 

What's he saying? He's saying that he came to show people the love and grace of God. And he's painting a picture of the church. The church exists to re-present Jesus to the world, to show people the love and grace of God. Why then, when people look at today's church, do they see judgment and hypocrisy? Abuse of power and arrogance? 

It's easy to say that it's not our problem, but theirs. It's much more difficult to listen to what Jesus says here,

"And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day."

He takes ownership for every single person who looks to him. He understands that the will of his Father is that anyone who looks to him would not be lost. And sure, the church isn't Jesus. But it is his establishment. It represents him. It re-presents him.

So what do we have to do to take on the mindset of Christ and be known for our compassion and love and grace instead of all of this other nonsense?

No comments:

Post a Comment